cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canada and using esim

Collie
Fledgling

Hello, visiting Canada will be installing an esim for data. Data roaming off, Wi-Fi calling on. 
Will be calling uk ( home ) numbers either using WhatsApp or over Wi-Fi. 
will be calling local ( Canadian numbers ) using Wi-Fi calling. 
Will I be charged for making phone calls ? I believe not to uk numbers but what about local ?

Thanks. 

8 REPLIES 8
MZone
Superstar

Have a look at h the roaming guide here. 

Collie
Fledgling

Thanks. Canada is eye watering expensive from Three. I’m buying an esim for Canada so what I’m trying to find out is when I’m in Canada will Three charge a call charge when phoning Canadian phone numbers over wifi ? 

MZone
Superstar

If you’re using the Canadian number then you will be charged the applicable rate set by the Canadian provider. 

tarantella
Established

Wifi-Calling only works in the UK, as far as I know

Collie
Fledgling

Do you know if the call will ignore call over wifi then and use the cellular network, therefore I’ll be charged the call rate that three set for Canada or will the call fail ? 

tarantella
Established

I honestly don't know.

@JonathanB : do you know the answer to this ?

MZone
Superstar

If you make a call using your Three number in Canada over the cellular network you will be charged the applicable Three roaming rate. Using what’s app and Facebook messenger for example uses data either cellular or WiFi. If connected to WiFi you wouldn’t be charged for that. 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

Canada is one of our Go Roam Extra destinations. You can use Go Roam there on contracts, and unlock access to your allowances for £7 each day you use it. You can opt to purchase a Go Roam Extra Pass instead which will work out cheaper. Those passes can be found in the Add On section of the App. 

Having go Roam active will give you access to up to 3000 minutes of calls back to the UK. It's worth noting that WiFi calling generally doesn't work while Roaming, so your phone will likely need access to the mobile network while making normal voice calls.

Local calls within Canada will be charged at a rate of £1.40 per minute to land lines and mobiles.

Only contract users currently have access to Go Roam Extra. If it's a Pay As You Go eSIM you intend on getting, you won't have access to Go Roam Extra, and won't be able to take advantage of the benefits mentioned above. 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.