cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How long does it take for 3 to turn on a mast that they've built?

markle
Regular

Hey everyone, so recently, Three have built a mast a mile away from me in 25th of July 2024, and I was wondering when the mast will be active, main reason being is that I have some no service spots in my house, in particular the living room, and this can take some charge from my phone, upwards of 5-6% with the category of 'No Mobile Coverage' under battery, I turned on Wi-Fi call and hasn't reduced much so you can see why it peaked my interest.

You all might say to move providers, however, EE is pretty congested in my area and at times doesn't really work outside in my home town, also it lacks 5G in my area, O2 has 3G in the city and doesn't really work well and Vodafone has '5G' in the city but doesn't work well at all, I've only found 3 to have a perfect middle ground for my use cases.

I was wondering how long it would take to turn on as that mast would probably give me some sort of service as I believe it'll also consist of Band 28, I don't really mind the 5G not reaching me as I already have outdoor 5G coverage, the way I know how it isn't on is that we've went there one day and it wasn't active, any help will be appreciated, also one more question, do you think the signal would reach me indoors if it's a mile away as I am a little puzzled about that, any help and answered would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advanced!

4 REPLIES 4
MZone
Maestro

Every mast is different unfortunately as lots of factors to consider so can’t give you an average timescale. I’m sure @JonathanB can make some enquires if you provide a location/postcode. 

markle
Regular

Hiya, area of the mast is -

Pavement at Conway Road, Penlan, Penderry, Swansea,

SA5 7BD, it was newly built and the only question I’m just wondering about is the approximation and if it could reach me

markle
Regular

If that doesn’t work then try SA5 7AT

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hi there, Markle. 

MZone rightfully pointed out that knowing when is quite tricky due to how many factors there are in getting a mast up and running. 

In some cases, we can dig out a bit more information from contacts we have internally, but they can usually only provide the information once certain key milestones have been reached, and normally that would be within a couple of months of a site going live. With the site being so new, we'd be quite far from that. It's not uncommon that sites will take over 6 months to go line from when they are installed. 

Similarly, it's hard to say what the impact of the site going live would be for you. Generally when a new site goes live, we expect a greater number of users to be reached, extending that 5G coverage outwards. We also see other benefits as well though, as the existing load on the network within the area is reduced when the new mast starts helping out. 

Hopefully once the site goes live, you'll see an observable improvement to the indoor coverage you receive on 5G, and hopefully that wait isn't too long. 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.