cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stuck with no service and unhelpful support on 1st trip abroad with Three - please help

mia123
Regular
Dear community,

I am abroad (Netherlands), stuck without data services and unable to make calls or send texts. Really need help with getting this resolved.

This is my first trip abroad after joining 3 in June and going through a nightmare number port that left me without service for 8 days. I am on a pay-monthly plan, iPhone 13.

Spent almost 2 hours with Three support earlier today. They had me do lots of "turn it off and back on" cycles, set a spending cap on my account, and "refreshed the roaming services". To no avail.

That last bit seemed to make things worse. Whereas initially I had no data, but could at least receive texts and could see "4G" next to the signal strength indicator bars, now I only see the signal strength bars, no 4G or any other data service on any of the networks.

I was eventually abruptly told by the support person that they are upgrading the systems and to come back later - basically fobbed off. I can see that he then closed the case, even though nothing was resolved.

Super exasperated at this point, unable to get around as planned and have a voicemail about an important medical update that I cannot access.

Any help or guidance on how to get this sorted would be greatly appreciated - thanks!
Best solution
Best solution
mia123
Regular

After an evening chat with Sohel from Support, my roaming is fully working - data, calls and SMS.

In case it helps someone, there were 3 problems with my account:

1. Spending cap was not set or set to zero (unclear); this was set to an amount to cover monthly bill plus expected roaming charges, with headroom to spare

This is where the first support rep left it, as explained.

2. Credit limit (different to spending cap) was set to £1. Because of this, the £2 daily roaming charge could not be applied, so there were no roaming services. This was instead set to about twice the spending cap.

This restored the ability to make calls and send SMS, but data still didn't work, no 4G next to signal strength bars etc. Until...

3. It was discovered that an international data roaming bar had been applied to my account! Once removed, data started working too.

I have no idea why the above settings were as they were on my account. I never changed any myself. It's been really disappointing to have had so many issues since joining Three, and to have experienced extreme inconsistencies and delays in the quality of support both times I really needed some.

That said - I am very grateful to Sohel, who persevered with troubleshooting multiple issues, and believed me whenever I said that things still weren't working and I'd checked various "obvious" settings multiple times. Totally different attitude and level of professionalism compared to what I'd experienced previously.

And thank you @MZone and @Paddiewack for your suggestions too!

View solution in conversation

14 REPLIES 14
Best solution
mia123
Regular

After an evening chat with Sohel from Support, my roaming is fully working - data, calls and SMS.

In case it helps someone, there were 3 problems with my account:

1. Spending cap was not set or set to zero (unclear); this was set to an amount to cover monthly bill plus expected roaming charges, with headroom to spare

This is where the first support rep left it, as explained.

2. Credit limit (different to spending cap) was set to £1. Because of this, the £2 daily roaming charge could not be applied, so there were no roaming services. This was instead set to about twice the spending cap.

This restored the ability to make calls and send SMS, but data still didn't work, no 4G next to signal strength bars etc. Until...

3. It was discovered that an international data roaming bar had been applied to my account! Once removed, data started working too.

I have no idea why the above settings were as they were on my account. I never changed any myself. It's been really disappointing to have had so many issues since joining Three, and to have experienced extreme inconsistencies and delays in the quality of support both times I really needed some.

That said - I am very grateful to Sohel, who persevered with troubleshooting multiple issues, and believed me whenever I said that things still weren't working and I'd checked various "obvious" settings multiple times. Totally different attitude and level of professionalism compared to what I'd experienced previously.

And thank you @MZone and @Paddiewack for your suggestions too!
Paddiewack
Superstar

So very pleased you’re sorted!

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @mia123,

I'm glad to hear this has been resolved by Sohel, it sounds like this has been a really distressing time for you. I'm really sorry to hear that it took several chats to get your roaming working.

Thanks @Paddiewack and @MZone you gave really good suggestions, it's unfortunate that the root issue was with the account rather than phone settings.

Thanks for setting out all the steps and solutions so clearly everyone, I hope this thread goes onto help others in the future.

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Paddiewack
Superstar

We’re going abroad shortly for literally a few days and in view of the issues detailed in this post I’ve just come off the phone from c/s asking is there ANYTHING on my account as of now that will stop me using my phone abroad. The answer was no I’m good to go. I would suggest if you’re using your phone abroad for the first time to do this. Perhaps you could say we shouldn’t have to. Correct but it might save a whole lot of hassle.

Just a suggestion!

Chris1566
Fledgling

I've just spoken to someone on live chat finally and in the US you need to manually set your network provider to T-Mobile. Just thought I'd post this in case anyone else has the same problem where everything else looks like it should work. Hasn't really helped me as i can't find a T-Mobile signal though...