cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit check on upgrade?

rendez2k
Fledgling

Hi all, have a contract thats due to finish in March next year. If I pay the early upgrade fee, do Three run a credit check? Tried a second line and failed so would have to upgrade but no point if check would be run!

Best solution
Best solution
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Antg83,

I'm sorry to hear this. Last year we've moved to a new type of plan called Three Your Way. This is an FCA regulated product which includes a 0% APR loan for device plans. This does mean we need to run credit and affordability check with upgrades now.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

View solution in conversation

13 REPLIES 13
PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Hello. 

You can appeal a credit application. To do that, send us an email to credit.checking@contact.three.co.uk 
Please include a recent copy of your credit file, all address in the past 3 years, your date of birth, and a copy/image of your drivers license or passport. 

Once you've sent that info, you should hear back from the team within 1 working day. 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

58warren
Fledgling

Been a 3 customer since 2008, but want to replace my iPhone 14 Pro Max in the same way I’ve upgraded every 24 months. Not prepared to go through a credit check as I have recently retired early and I’m only withdrawing a small lump sum of my private pension once a year, but have no mortgage on my family home and have the proceeds of a recent house sale saved in various accounts.

My credit score will be unlikely to go through as it dropped hard after paying off the mortgage 4 years ago - go figure!

I’ve never missed a payment on my phone contract since I began, but wanted to upgrade to a monthly plan and phone at £30 a month less than I’m currently paying and will be unable to. Guess you just lost a loyal customer…

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @58warren,

I'm sorry to hear this. These credit checks are carried out in order to ensure we're acting responsibly and in line with FCA expectations. The option to purchase a phone outright, or to take a SIM only plan are still available if you'd prefer not to be credit checked against the value of a device when you upgrade.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Clodagh80
Fledgling

I hope they realise how many loyal customers they are going to lose. Three need ro seriously rethink this approach to upgrade. Disgraceful