cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced apps after Software Update

mlandsburgh
Fledgling

Absolutely disgusted by Three's latest money-grabbing scheme that forces game downloads after a Software Update.

As has happened with all software updates in recent months, when the latest Samsung/Android update happened this morning, Three forced me to review app suggestions.

I was irritated but expecting that, so went into it, unticked everything, and was about to Confirm, when I realised 3 apps didn’t have a box to untick and were called "essentials".

Sure enough, when I closed that menu, MistPlay, Solitaire, and Blackjack were slowly installed.

I immediately held their icons and uninstalled them again.

I have been carefully managing my storage and I have been avoiding new games for my mental wellbeing (to minimise screen time and distractions). It's annoying being asked about apps every update, but I can handle it. Being FORCED to take apps I don't want (presumably because Three gets a cut of the ad money) is horrendous customer service.

3 lessons for Three...

1. Stop forcing people to review games every software update - it's a stressor for people with limited digital skills.

2. Never force games and payment based apps onto people's phones. You are legitimising apps that look like scams (even if these 3 weren't) and are just asking for people to be harmed when they unwittingly get into difficulty.

3. I manage my storage. I manage what I need my phone for. Get your mits off my phone content 🤬

14 REPLIES 14
Oldandtired
Regular

The exact same thing happens to me and I absolutely hate it.

I do not want apps I haven't consented to being forced into my phone, without me having turned off tracking cookies for a start. Some apps throw out thousands of tracking attempts every time you open them. Why would I allow a company to do that without my consent?

It's an invasion of my privacy. I want to decide what goes on my phone. Surely that's my right as a consumer.

This time it didn't even get to the uncheck boxes stage - there was just suddenly a random game on my phone. Same thing happened to my partner a couple of days later, though that phone got 2 new apps, and they were different than mine. 

At the same time (may or may not be related) a bunch of my privacy settings were changed and the government emergency alert can no longer be turned off (with a bonus 'can read sms messages') with it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Referring to an earlier post can I please ask what handset you’re using?

Oldandtired
Regular

We have an S20 and an S23.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Then I can only refer you to the replies given by our forum moderator @JonathanB stating that this is likely to be  a Samsung issue which apparently happens on other networks as well as Three. I’m  sorry not to give you a more helpful answer. 

Oldandtired
Regular

Thank you 😊 (more characters...)