cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced apps after Software Update

mlandsburgh
Fledgling

Absolutely disgusted by Three's latest money-grabbing scheme that forces game downloads after a Software Update.

As has happened with all software updates in recent months, when the latest Samsung/Android update happened this morning, Three forced me to review app suggestions.

I was irritated but expecting that, so went into it, unticked everything, and was about to Confirm, when I realised 3 apps didn’t have a box to untick and were called "essentials".

Sure enough, when I closed that menu, MistPlay, Solitaire, and Blackjack were slowly installed.

I immediately held their icons and uninstalled them again.

I have been carefully managing my storage and I have been avoiding new games for my mental wellbeing (to minimise screen time and distractions). It's annoying being asked about apps every update, but I can handle it. Being FORCED to take apps I don't want (presumably because Three gets a cut of the ad money) is horrendous customer service.

3 lessons for Three...

1. Stop forcing people to review games every software update - it's a stressor for people with limited digital skills.

2. Never force games and payment based apps onto people's phones. You are legitimising apps that look like scams (even if these 3 weren't) and are just asking for people to be harmed when they unwittingly get into difficulty.

3. I manage my storage. I manage what I need my phone for. Get your mits off my phone content 🤬

15 REPLIES 15
Oldandtired
Regular

The exact same thing happens to me and I absolutely hate it.

I do not want apps I haven't consented to being forced into my phone, without me having turned off tracking cookies for a start. Some apps throw out thousands of tracking attempts every time you open them. Why would I allow a company to do that without my consent?

It's an invasion of my privacy. I want to decide what goes on my phone. Surely that's my right as a consumer.

This time it didn't even get to the uncheck boxes stage - there was just suddenly a random game on my phone. Same thing happened to my partner a couple of days later, though that phone got 2 new apps, and they were different than mine. 

At the same time (may or may not be related) a bunch of my privacy settings were changed and the government emergency alert can no longer be turned off (with a bonus 'can read sms messages') with it. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Referring to an earlier post can I please ask what handset you’re using?

Oldandtired
Regular

We have an S20 and an S23.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks. Then I can only refer you to the replies given by our forum moderator @JonathanB stating that this is likely to be  a Samsung issue which apparently happens on other networks as well as Three. I’m  sorry not to give you a more helpful answer. 

Oldandtired
Regular

Thank you 😊 (more characters...)

Waldopepper
Fledgling

Yeh I recently had to clear down a phone getting near the storage limit and found loads of games that I had no idea were installed! It was something like 2Gb used without my knowledge...  assume from this Samsung update process.

I now know to uncheck games after the update, but there are always some that I am forced to install. I assume Samsung are paid to do this as it will show as more downloads on the Play Store? If it does, it's misleading other users to how popular the apps are.

For those on limited data allowance, it must be annoying, or for those using phones for government or with work phones which are audited/tracked it doesn't look good either.