cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any recommended ethernet switch devices?

timj_bsgcgoty
Regular

I'm in the process of switching from an ever more expensive Virgin to Three 5G Broadband, but I need to be able to plug more devices into the router by ethernet that it allows.  Great, I thought, I'll get a small powered switch (a tp-link LS1005G) so I can plug in my powerline extender network my main PC and my printer so all other famly users can access it still.

Problem - anything I plug into the switch has terrible speeds.  Weirdly, when I plug my PC into the router directly, I get crawl speeds compared to the wifi signal I'm getting.  (I'm getting 780 Mbps wifi according to me mobile).

To rule out one element, has anyone found a particularly good powered switch that works with this Zyxel router, please?

Thanks.

Best solution
Best solution
timj_bsgcgoty
Regular

Hi,

I've tried another two cables with the same result.  I'm sending the switch back as it's clearly a pile of p@@.

I've also had a redesign of what goes where, so my powerline is in LAN 1 socket, and the printer in LAN 2.  My PC connects speedily with wifi.  So basically, I don't need a switch at the moment (but I am waiting for some technical help from the PCLinuxOS Forum in setting up the printer which steadfastly refuses to "plug and play"!).

View solution in conversation

5 REPLIES 5
Anvil_Iron
Rising star

When a PC is directly connected to Router LAN1 is it connecting at 1000M?

In the web config, System Monitor > Traffic Status > LAN, are you seeing a lot of errors and dropped packets?

I have a PC connecting at 1Gb directly to the LAN1 and I'm not experiencing any speed problems. NO errors and a small amount of dropped packets. Have you tried LAN2?

timj_bsgcgoty
Regular

Hi,

I run a Linux OS so I'm not sure what you mean by System Monitor > Traffic Status > LAN.  Is that a Windows function?

If I just connect my PC via its built in wifi and run a well known broadband speed test I get this great performance:

Ping Download Upload
16 ms409.32 Mb/s46.57 Mb/s

If I switch off the PC wifi connection, and connect the PC to the switch by ethernet, the signal is so crap it isn't even allowing me to connect to the broadband speed test!  (I reconnected to the wifi and ran the test again with the same stupendous results).

I then switch off the wifi again, plug the ethernet lead direct between the LAN2 port and the PC to see what happens happens when I re-run the speed test - I get these not so good results, but at least it connects.

Ping Download Upload
17 ms92.02 Mb/s90.14 Mb/s

So, what I'm looking for is a recommendation for a switch box that maintains the very high signal level I'm getting by wifi so I can plug my PC, printer and occasionally any other device I fancy into it and get some, ANY signal out of it.

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Just done a download test and getting an average 300Mbps from my PC. How is your router WAN connection?

Anvil_Iron
Rising star

Hi, You mentioned the Zyxel router is your post, so the System Monitor > Traffic Status > LAN is a path in the web config... 192.168.1.1.

If you have already tried a PC connected via cable directly to the router and not getting so good speeds, I wouldn't think there be an improvement with a switch in between? Do you have another PC to try via cable? or another cable?

Best solution
timj_bsgcgoty
Regular

Hi,

I've tried another two cables with the same result.  I'm sending the switch back as it's clearly a pile of p@@.

I've also had a redesign of what goes where, so my powerline is in LAN 1 socket, and the printer in LAN 2.  My PC connects speedily with wifi.  So basically, I don't need a switch at the moment (but I am waiting for some technical help from the PCLinuxOS Forum in setting up the printer which steadfastly refuses to "plug and play"!).