cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zyxel NR5103E

VM550i
Regular

Hello @JonathanB 

I am having some troubles with my 5g Broadband with downloading and upload speed on a PlayStation 5 console and all my devices. I have run an internet speed test on the device and I see that the download speed is around 20+ Mbps but the upload speed seems restricted. There is an error message appearing on the screen saying that the router does not support IP packet fragmentation and to contact my service provider for help.

I’m currently using wired Connection, I tried both Wi-Fi and Wired but both the same, my 5g Broadband is Currently placed by the window, signal is Excellent.

When I first received the router, I was getting over 300Mbps but now getting 20-50Mbps,

Gaming is Unplayable, very laggy every time I tried to play a game either on my computer or Console it will just completely disconnect from the game, am now unable to play any games

And now since yesterday, if trying to download something or games on The PS5 , the broadband disconnects. I have to turn it off and back on again.

I’ve tried to move it around to see where I get better signal but made no difference

Zyxel NR5103E

: B12

18 REPLIES 18
crypt0ninja
Established

Hi @VM550i,

Have you checked if there's any issues going on in your area via the Three status checker?

Can you share a screenshot of your cellular stats page via the router admin portal?

Cheers

Cheers

VM550i
Regular

Hi @crypt0ninja

https://ibb.co/x20wFVd
https://ibb.co/m42c0vq

Issue has been going on for over 6 months now in my area has never been fixed.

Thanks

crypt0ninja
Established

Yeah its said the same thing about my area too for many months tbh lol

Looking at your signal stats your SINR's are on the low side (signal/noise ratio), when positioning the router I always try to find the position/location that gives the best SINRs figures (higher the better, I personally aim for SINRs of 10+ but each to their own (although the other signal stats listed also matter yours seem ok).

So you are connected to B1 primary cell, I looked at that Cell ID on cell mapper it looks like that mast has 3 x B1 cells, 3 x B3 cells and 3x B20 cells.

It might be worth trying out band locking to see if there's any difference in performance and stability just in case the issue lies with one of the connected cells.

In the router admin portal:

Menu button (top right) > Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular Band (tab)

Try selecting the following combinations (test speeds and your PS5 device issues after each change) to see if there's any difference in speed/performance and stability for you:

B1+B20+N78

B3+B20+N78

B1+B3+B20+N78

Let us know if there's any difference or if you still have the same problem.

Cheers

VM550i
Regular

Thanks for the suggestions Crypt0ninja, I’ll give that a go when I get home see if it helps and will report back 👍

VM550i
Regular

Hi

I tried all of the above and getting same results, browsing the internet is fine , 1080p video on YouTube sometimes lags, that’s all fine but the most annoying problem is that It suddenly loses internet connection while trying to download a game on my Console PS5/Xbox after 1 to 2 minutes when download has started, the lights are still on. Loses Internet connection, the only way is to reboot the router and it’s back to normal but if I try to download again, same thing happens

Cheers 

crypt0ninja
Established

I don't have a console to be able to confirm the issue unfortunately, hopefully someone else does and can advise if they have any issues.

Found this online relating to that IP Packet Fragmentation error on the PS5 though:

"Change Network MTU Value

This is something that you should never really need to dig into but it has been a solution to the problem for some people who are dealing with some unconventional configuration on their home network.

If you navigate to Network settings->Set Up Connection->Options button on active connection->Advanced Settings. You can scroll down and find that MTU is an option at the bottom of the page. You can change this from automatic to manual. The big question is, what is the correct value?

The value depends on your network. It is 1500 by default. I ran a speed test on my Xbox and the automatic value given to the MTU was 1480. This may be a good place to start. Enter this as the value and try another speed test. If it doesn’t fix the problem, try to lower the MTU. If you are going lower than 1450, it might be better to get help from your ISP on the problem instead as you are going to end up going down a confusing rabbit hole of networking."

It might be worth trying to disable IPv6 via the router admin portal, for some reason my mind is telling me that someone resolved a similar issue with frequent drop outs like this by disabling IPv6 but I may be wrong I have a terrible memory 🤣

However as your speeds are also on the low side it could also just be a case of mast issues/work going on in your area as per the status checker.

VM550i
Regular

I also tried to Change The Network MTU Value, which Fixed the IP Packet Fragmentation error on the PS5, but made no difference in performance or stability.

Could you please explain where to go to disable IPv6?

Forgot to mention the Internet connection also sometimes drops when doing a Speed Test and I have to reboot it 

Thank you

crypt0ninja
Established

Yeah the IP Packet Fragmentation error seems to occur on various routers from what I've read on Reddit etc. and it seems but can be resolved by adjusting the MTU at either the network level or console level.

I've not disabled IPv6 on the NR5103E personally as I have it set to IP Passthrough mode for my Deco PX50's (which seem to have IPv6 disabled by default in the Deco options) but I think the setting to disable it on the NR5103E is here:

Menu Icon (Top Right) > Network Setting > Broadband > Broadband (Tab) > Modify Cellular WAN 1 > Change IPv4/IPv6 Mode from IPv4 IPv6 DualStack to IPv4 Only

Let us know if it helps, if not I guess you've pretty much tried what you can and Three will need to investigate.

VM550i
Regular

Just tried to disable IPv6, made no difference still getting drop outs 😫

but thanks for all your suggestions 

Now I’m stuck in a 24 month contract lol