cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could not perform DNS name resolution

JoshhDaw
Regular

Hi I have the Zyxel 5G router from three & for the last 3-4 days I have been having issues with the network (it has been fine for the previous 8 months)

all 5 Nintendo Switches in the house won’t work and come up with error - Could not perform DNS name resolution.

All eufy (Anker) security cameras also not working. 

Every over device no issues though! 

I have tried everything from changing DNS to 8.8.8.8 / 8.8.4.4

resetting to factory & changing APN.

Three didn’t really seem to have a clue what they was on about and advised that they have ‘raised’ this and I will hear back within a week. Honestly I can’t wait a week with children wanting to play on their switches & having no security in the household!

thanks in advance. It’s driving me a little crazy haha

19 REPLIES 19
JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @samuelcooper96,

There's been another couple of suggestions for connectivity issues like this. Have you also tried enabling uPNP and the steps described on FYI : IPv6 Prevented VPN Connection to manually set your APN on IPv4?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

GregBlanks
Regular

I more thing under remote management enable UpnP also then try 

GregBlanks
Regular

Have you enabled the UnPN ? 

JoshhDaw
Regular

Not sure if it’s a mixture of using a different sim card or trying this but it’s now working! 

Only problem is that this router is now on a cancelled package as they signed me up to a new one to try and resolve it however the new router 5G doesn’t work! 

Replacement router (3rd one lol) came today & still has no 5G however is on b12 so hoping that a b14 firmware upgrade over night fixes it. 

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @JoshhDaw,

Let us know how this goes, there has been instances in the past where that router hasn't picked up 5G till after the first firmware update is delivered to it. If it's still a problem after updating I can get you in touch with some more help.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JoshhDaw
Regular

Hey Jonathan, 

Still no luck. Is still stuck on b12. Really don’t know what to do now as I’m unable to work as well. Really frustrating 😞

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Ah that's really frustrating. I'll PM you so we can get you in touch with some colleagues that can look into this. I expect we'll be able to sort another exchange.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

samuelcooper96
Fledgling

Hi everyone, I’ve finally had the chance to try and implement some of the suggestions to get my Nintendo Switch to connect to my wifi and still nothing has worked.

I have disabled ipv6, I’ve enabled UnPnP, I’ve changed from 3internet to Three.co.uk, I’ve  even downloaded the Three 5G App to try and see if my device is blocked for some reason, which it is not.

The only response that has changed on my console now is that rather than a DNS error, instead it throws up a “Could not connect to internet. No response from the server” error instead.

Every other device continues to work except my Nintendo Switch and it’s really beginning to get on my nerves now

samuelcooper96
Fledgling

Right, well annoyingly after a night of fiddling around and resetting, and even factory resetting my Switch which may not have been quite necessary now, the issue has been fixed.

Frustratingly, I can’t tell which solution actually fixed the problem, but thank you for all the suggestions anyway.

In any case, it’s time to re-download all my games…

wanokuni
Fledgling

Hi mate, I’ve had this problem for 2 weeks now and I’d love to know what steps you went through. I just got a replacement SIM and was really sad to see it didn’t work.