cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eero 5 Wifi Mesh + NR5103E IP Passthrough

tiredrich
Fledgling

Hi all

I have an Eero Wifi 5 wifi mesh system, which is a couple of years old, and a newly purchased 5g Home Broadband NR5103E router. I am trying to attach the wifi mesh to the Eero but I am failing. It previously worked fine with VM when the hub was placed in modem mode.

So I have been through the usual things, connected to the WAN port, flicked the option in the router app to turn the LAN port into a WAN port, enabled ip passthrough on the advanced options, tried turning DHCP off/on and when I setup the Eero is still saying it cannot connect to the Internet, as if its getting nothing from the router.

Has anyone been in the same position and point in the direction as to where I am going wrong?

thanks

9 REPLIES 9
crypt0ninja
Established

Hey @tiredrich,

I'm using IP Passthrough mode with my Deco PX50 units so can hopefully help.

You don't need to convert the LAN port into a WAN port or disable DCHP on the NR5103E, just leave those on their default settings. You can however disable WIFI completely on the NR5103E once you have IP Passthrough working correctly if you wish.

You just need to make sure that you enable IP Passthrough mode and connect the Mesh unit to the 1GbE LAN/WAN port (NOT the 2.5GbE port at the top).

IP Passthrough Mode = Modem Mode, its just named differently on various routers.

This is all I had to do for IP Passthrough to work (although I did have to restart both the router and Deco units a few times after enabling IP Passthrough mode before the main Deco unit eventually picked up the external IP address, as on the first few attempts the main Deco unit was incorrectly picking up an internal IP address and wouldn't work, but a few restarts of both the router and units fixed that).

I assume its not working for you as you have switched the port from LAN to WAN so the port is essentially configured as an Internet IN (WAN) port now instead of Internet OUT (LAN) port.

Let us know if this sorts it for you!

tiredrich
Fledgling

To resolve this issue.

I had to set the LAN > WAN switch on the Three router app and then use LAN 1 for the Eero to work. Any other combination did not work, such as enabling IP Passthrough in advanced settings. I have repeated this a couple of times now and its definitely a combination of the LAN>WAN setting and using LAN 1.

Bugged router? Intentional? Not sure but it works now and I hope this helps anyone else using this combination.

Dazzar
Established

@crypt0ninja 
how do you turn pass through on as I want my mesh net work to be the router and leave the NR as the modem only

crypt0ninja
Established

Hey @Dazzar,

Firstly, make sure that your mesh units are set to Router Mode (they usually have options for Access Point Mode (AP Mode) or Router Mode) and that the main mesh unit is plugged into the top Ethernet port on the NR5103E (I made a mistake on a previous post and said to use the bottom one but after physically checking my setup I can confirm its the top one haha my bad!).

Then go to the following in the NR5103E admin portal:

Menu Icon (Top Right) > Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular IP Passthrough (Tab)

You can enable IP Passthrough mode from here.

Then check if the main mesh unit has picked up the external IP address, if its still got an internal IP address then restart both the router and mesh units, I had to do this a couple times before my main mesh unit picked up the external IP address.

Once passthrough is working and the main mesh unit is picking up the external IP address you can go ahead and disable WIFI on the NR5103E if you wish (but leave DHCP enabled as I couldn't access the admin portal after disabling it).

Hope this helps!

Dazzar
Established

@crypt0ninja I will look at this tomorrow and check reason being is that I had it in bridge and was getting problems so took it off that so now wonder if they are arguing with each other so need to separate 

Dazzar
Established

Hi when I turned passthrough on I just lost all internet 

thisismyweb
Fledgling

I am experiencing identical issues. I have attempted utilising both the fixed MAC address and dynamic options when enabling IP passthrough. Additionally, I have disabled all firewall and DDoS settings, and set the APN to manual to guarantee that the PDP type connection is limited to IPv4. Despite being able to view the public WAN IP on my router I'm unable to visit websites, none of my attempts have been successful.

thisismyweb
Fledgling

I'm not sure what else I can do to make this work. I'm feeling disappointed. At first, I bought this as a temporary fix until fibre was available. The contract is monthly and renewable, but I also appreciated the security benefit of having an internet connection without cables and a backup plan.

I have tried everything to make this work as intended. Please let me know if you have any suggestions.

thisismyweb
Fledgling

The issue has been resolved successfully. To fix the problem, I needed to define the new WAN gateway as the primary default.