cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection issues loading/changing site- secure connection failed/site can't be reached

EDIflyer
Involved

Is anyone else occasionally getting a 'connection down' error from Chrome (or 'Secure Connection Failed' from Firefox) when changing page - if I hit refresh it works fine. At first I wondered if it was the site I was using but have noticed it on multiple different major websites over the past couple of months and not noticed it from other locations where I don't use Three Broadband so does seem to be related to the router/connection (this is via wired Ethernet too, so not a WiFi problem).  I've tried changing DNS server in case that helps but no difference.

It mainly seems to happen when trying to first load a site or (annoyingly) at checkout when a different site is being loaded as part of the checkout process.  It certainly doesn't happen everytime but does happen with reasonable frequency.  I've also noticed I often get it when trying to pull/push from/to Github too and have to do so a number of times for it to work (browsing the Github website works fine).

I'm using a NR5103E with Firmware Version V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14 - I tried rebooting it but to no effect.

EDIflyer_0-1697984212494.pngEDIflyer_1-1697984219294.png

EDIflyer_4-1697984241361.png

284 REPLIES 284
thelostlambda
Fledgling

Hi Jonathan!

I've been away from the UK since December or so, but since coming back last week I've been suffering this problem quite badly... I'd love to participate / provide helpful information to get this issue resolved ASAP!

Thanks a ton!

wgen
Regular

Sure, I will be down to participate. Issues are still prevalent on my connection.

Midnight54
Active

Like @EDIflyer my net also went down last night for approx 10mins, around 1am ish.  Only just had time to test it, hoping it was maybe resolved,but nope same issue here, sites like duckduckgo fairly frequently failing, debrid files failing to complete the download at the very end every time etc

EDIflyer
Involved

Oh damn, sorry to hear that - interesting you had an outage though too.

Midnight54
Active

Seems especially bad for me today.  especially duckduckgo, asda.com, groceries.asda.com, and even amazon (tho less often).  Also noticed that using a site such as hotukdeals, the referral links they use that take through to the actual amazon page are very frequently failing so needing to refresh pages multiple times, "An error occurred during a connection to hotukdeals.digidip.net. PR_END_OF_FILE_ERROR"

MP
Active

Does anyone have an Apple Watch and the Weather app does not always show information (tried all the obvious things to make it work and reinstalling the app), I would assume all traffic is SSL/TLS so I was wondering if it is related to this in some way.

l0hn
Regular

I'm getting the exact same problem as everyone else here, it's extremely frustrating. This whiffs a bit of some sort of misconfigured firewall dropping packets / interferring with ssl handshakes.

Is there anyone from Three that can provide a timeline on a fix for this?

bytespider
Active

There has been no concrete confirmation that anyone is looking into anything. And the only contact, @JonathanB, only responds occasionally to say they will feedback to the "team". It's really disappointing, especially since so many here have done lots to try and provide areas for said teams to investigate.

l0hn
Regular

Well that's just brilliant, I've moved to an area where 5G is the only option until FTTP is rolled out and this initially seemed great as I can achieve ~1gbps.. but it's completely pointless if Three's internal proxy constantly drops packets during TLS handshakes.

I expect a permanent VPN connection on my router will workaround this but this shouldn't be necessary.

@JonathanB: Can you ask someone there if it's possible for specific clients to bypass the proxy? At least keep some of us happy until you can fix this?

Also what's the reason for doing this? Assumably you're using the TLS handshake to sniff the plain text domain for a firewall. The least you could do if you're going to monitor / persist TLS streams is do it well enough that it goes un-noticed.

l0hn
Regular

I've setup a permanent VPN connection on my router as a workaround and no longer get SSL errors.

This is obviously because the VPN circumvents Three's proxy which is interferring with TLS handshakes, assumably sniffing the plain text domain from the handshake for a firewall.

@JonathanB : What gives here? If you guys want to monitor TLS streams at least do it in a way that isn't as noticeable and doesn't cause such an impact to customers.