cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't make or receive calls.

MichaelW
Fledgling

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help. The issue started a couple of weeks ago where calls might drop randomly, but for the last week I've been unable to make or receive calls.

My phone can display a full signal, but if I attempt to make a call, either the signal just drops and the network becomes "unavailable", or nothing happens--no ring/call tone. From what family and friends tell me when I contact them through something such as Facebook messenger--on their end, it will either ring for a few seconds and go straight to voice mail, or tell them that I'm on another line. 

This happens both inside of my home, out in the open.

I've tried removing and reinstalling the SIM, resetting network settings on my handset, and even going far as a factory reset of the phone itself. 

I can, however, receive texts (thank goodness because of verification codes) and use internet data. I am PAYG. My phone is a little outdated, a Samsung Galaxy S7, but it does have 4G/LTE--and I'm mentioning this because I'm aware 3G is being phased out. I very recently topped up and did get a text confirming it--as well as addons appearing on my account dashboard. 

I hope I'm providing enough information here to troubleshoot. 

13 REPLIES 13
Katie
Regular

I’ve had the same problems at home I can only call people over watsapp if I use normal call option no one can hear me and all of our phones are the same. All 4 of us are with 3 so this can not be a device issue but more to do with the provider. We’ve been with three for years but now my upgrade is due I may need to leave as my phone is no use in house it’s so unreliable 

Buffster41
Regular

Yes I've also been unable to make or receive phone calls now for months. I have a new SIM card and phone so it's not that. Also my area has 3G coverage still apparently so it should not be anything to do with the 4G calling . 

Lrdmashptato
Fledgling

I'm the same I managed to receive a call a couple days ago but today I can't make any calls, it says "calling" but no dial tone or connection is made. I'm on a Motorola g9 plus which is 4G and still can't make or receive calls I've been on live chat for the last 2 hours and they couldn't give me an explanation other than I need to upgrade to a new device that works with 4G even though they have confirmed my phone is 4G. I have hospital appointments coming up due to health related issues and there is no way for them to contact me if my phone isn't working.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Lrdmashptato,

Sorry to hear you've been having trouble with your calls recently. There's some advice on How to ensure your phone is ready for the 3G switch off which will help you clarify if your phone is compatible to make 4G calls.

Also just to double check, when you have a look at our Coverage Checker, and pop over to the 3G tab, do you see info to confirm we've shutdown 3G in the area?

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.