cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Forced apps after Software Update

mlandsburgh
Fledgling

Absolutely disgusted by Three's latest money-grabbing scheme that forces game downloads after a Software Update.

As has happened with all software updates in recent months, when the latest Samsung/Android update happened this morning, Three forced me to review app suggestions.

I was irritated but expecting that, so went into it, unticked everything, and was about to Confirm, when I realised 3 apps didn’t have a box to untick and were called "essentials".

Sure enough, when I closed that menu, MistPlay, Solitaire, and Blackjack were slowly installed.

I immediately held their icons and uninstalled them again.

I have been carefully managing my storage and I have been avoiding new games for my mental wellbeing (to minimise screen time and distractions). It's annoying being asked about apps every update, but I can handle it. Being FORCED to take apps I don't want (presumably because Three gets a cut of the ad money) is horrendous customer service.

3 lessons for Three...

1. Stop forcing people to review games every software update - it's a stressor for people with limited digital skills.

2. Never force games and payment based apps onto people's phones. You are legitimising apps that look like scams (even if these 3 weren't) and are just asking for people to be harmed when they unwittingly get into difficulty.

3. I manage my storage. I manage what I need my phone for. Get your mits off my phone content 🤬

22 REPLIES 22
Juice
Regular

Yeah, just experienced the same and had to Google it to see. I went through three pages of app recommendations and deselected ALL of them. Finished the process and made sure to give one out of five stars when asked just to see my phone start to download three different apps from the 3 cloud.

Very infuriating. If I didn't select anything to download, why is there still apps being downloaded?! This should be illegal. 

Longdog63
Fledgling

It is so infuriating not getting any response from Three other than it is down to the brand of phone being used, which I know is rubbish because several of my family are on different brand phones and on Three and have the same issue. We are all moving to EE when our contract finishes.

Jake25uk
Fledgling

I have the same thing, I've given up trying to stop it, it's 100% three, I think perhaps once when first installing three's software I MAY of ticked something offering a free game each week, and also when I do a software update I get the same thing offering the apps and you have to unclick some or they will download (annoying but not as bad as the games) so I get one game from the three app cloud on my phone each week which I do nit want!