cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Broadband Drastic Speed Drop & Throttling to 120mbps after Settings Changed by customer service!

Mattyk66
Active

I have replied to other peoples posts multiple times about this but thought I would start another post as well to keep up the pressure on Three as they are refusing to admit they are throttling connections, yet multiple users have posted on the community site about this and stating they can now only hit 120mbps download when they used to hit much higher, these are different people in different parts of the country, being impacted exactly the same.  

I live right next to the 5G mast in my area, literally 30meters away. When I first went with three 5G broadband in October 2022 and up until November 2023, I was hitting anything from 600 to 900mbps download, all the time, even peak hours, I still have all the results recorded on my Ookla speed test app/account on my mobile phone.

In November, Disney plus stopped loading on my TV stating I was out of region, nothing I did/changed could get it to load so contacted three to see what was going on, they advised they could fix the issue by making some changes to my account settings and to restart my router and try and open Disney Plus again on my TV. Sure enough Disney loaded after the they messed with the settings, but from that exact point on (14/11/23) my download speed is stuck at 120mbps, won't go any higher. It jumps sometimes to around 400mbps when the speed test initially starts and then immediately and dramatically drops down to 120mbps with a second or two and stays there, clearly this is throttling and limiting the download speed. 

I contacted them on multiple occasions over the next few months and they were giving me all sorts of excuses and said they had changed settings and to try again, and another said they were working in the area but it would be back to normal in a month. I ran a speed test every week and nothing has changed, stuck on 120. I have had a month refunded and a month half price but all this time they are still claiming they do not limit the download speeds which is obviously absolute rubbish.

As someone else has mentioned on the community site, when I do a speed test on my phone when I am not connected to the Home broadband, and I'm also with three for my mobile contract, I still hit the usual 500mbps+ and nothing has changed with the speeds on my phone, just my broadband from November onwards. 

At the time I googled and couldn't find any posts on this so thought it was just an issue in my area, but after a speed test earlier, stuck on my 120, I googled and found this. Now I know this is happening to others I am going to contact them again and keep up the fight! Since I originally posted this only a month or so ago I can see there are new posts popping up weekly from people experiencing the exact same issue, so it seems to me Three and rolling out this download throttling across the country now. 

For those that want to leave three, due to the speed decreases, who are stuck in contract, they agreed with me that I could leave with no charges due to the change in service. When you first sign up, you get 14 days no quibble trial to see how it works and what speeds you get and you can send back if you not happy. So, if the speeds you are getting now, do not match the ones when you first got it, you can argue this and say you want to leave without a charge!

A further update to this - I made three send me out a brand new replacement router only 2 weeks ago at the start of Feb 24, so I could rule out that being an issue. I have a brand new replacement router (Zyxel NR5103), brand new sim card, and nothing changed. exactly the same and stuck at 120mbps. I have attached screenshots of speeds tests below and you can clearly see the moment they made the changes at their end on the 14/11/23, and from this point on my speed has been throttled to 120mbps, when the speed only 3 days before that was 544mbps.  I have also added screenshots of speed tests from Feb 2023, compared to speed tests from Feb 2024 and the differences are striking. My speed used to vary, as non throttled speeds should, between 400mbps up to 900mbps depending on the time of day/load on the network, as you would expect. Now, my download speeds have no variation at all, 7pm on Saturday evening at peak times, 120mpbs, 3am on a Sunday at the quietest time possible, still 120mbps. If speeds were not being throttled there would be a variation to the speeds I could hit. When I do the same speed tests on the Three mobile network when not connected to the home broadband, I get much quicker speeds, as previously mentioned, and I get the expected variation depending on the time of day. As I am about to post this, at 1:15am on a Sunday, I have ran a speed test on the 5G Mobile network and just hit 656mbps download, and then the speed test when connected to my home broadband, 119mbps, five and a half times slower!! Admittedly the upload speed was the opposite way around hitting 30.3mbps on mobile and 63.3mbps on the home broadband, but this again just shows that the speeds are being controlled and throttled. And again, I have attached the screenshot of this test below. 

I would like someone from Three technical support team to respond and finally admit that they are throttling speeds on the home broadband now, may be they are doing this as the network is getting busier as more people have joined over the last 12 months, but they need to admit this and stop the lies. 

Speed Test Results showing change in speeds on 14/11/23 immediately after Three changed the settings their end - 

Mattyk66_0-1708304117772.jpeg

Three Home Broadband Speed Test Results Feb 23

Mattyk66_1-1708304117793.jpeg

Three Home Broadband Speed Test Results Jan/Feb 24

Mattyk66_2-1708304117794.jpeg

Speed Test Comparison Three Mobile 5G to Three Home Broadband 5G

Mattyk66_3-1708305556613.png

64 REPLIES 64
Matthew1471
Regular

Have you rebooted the modem/router? Also sometimes Three just gets congested so the speeds can be variable. Also check for mast issues in the area - it'll slow down if you're having to connect to a mast that's further away - https://www.three.co.uk/support/network-and-coverage/coverage?tab=2

brooksdm2
Regular

Hello Matthew1471

Thanks for advice, but the router/modem has been reset and rebooted so many times I've lost count. I don't believe it is congestion, it's either throtting or a config issue at 3 network end. If you look at the download speedtest chart I posted, the top two speed are without VPN bottom two are with VPN. All tests were performed yesterday around 16:00.

Without VPN 30mbps 
With VPN 200Mbps 

Ping tests also show faster response to the 3 network, so this would suggest that my account as many have had before some sort of restriction placed upon it. 

Matthew1471
Regular

Sounds like you've done all the basic things exactly right 🙂

Your situation doesn't seem the same as ours - we were unable to get our Three hubs to go above 120 Mbps no matter what we did other than by changing the APN which is how the modem connects to components inside the mobile network's datacentre... if you can get faster speeds by changing how your packets are encapsulated as it goes to your Three Hub without changing any settings on the modem then it is as you've pointed out something to do with your type of traffic rather than the modem to mast (technically called an eNodeB) connection itself or how the data centre is wired.

While we await @JonathanB to reply it might also be worth checking your MTU values. I found on my EdgeRouter-4 I had to set my MTU to be 1380 manually... but on my friend's EdgeRouter X (which I also setup) the EdgeRouter X just automatically magicks the MTU.

You can check your MTU with a ping test, change l to various values "ping google.com -f -l 1352".. "ping google.com -f -l 1343" until you get told you can't transmit that much data without fragmenting it. Then add on 28 (IPv4 header + ICMP header) and that will be your correct MTU value that whatever you're plugging into the Three hub should use. VPNs can fragment their own packets to the VPN server which is why it might behave better when going via a VPN. Also don't bother changing the MTU settings in the Three hub/router itself.. it's the client which needs to adjust and changing it in the Three hub/router I find messes up accessing the Web GUI.

Worth also including what your APN is - for Three Hubs it should be "3internet" and what you have connected to your Three Hub.. is it running in Bridge mode with a third party router? If so, connect a laptop to it temporarily (careful it won't be firewalled if you haven't enabled a client firewall on your network) and see if it makes any difference.. if it's in Router mode, have you tried also connecting it with an Ethernet cable to rule out any other components along the way? Is the APN PDP type set to "IPv4", "IPv6" or "IPv4v6" as this chooses which Three link your packets go down so will be helpful for diagnostics too. The fact a VPN (probably using UDP) gets through okay suggests to be either fragmentation issues or something inspecting TCP traffic. If there's any child filtering controls on your router/hub make sure those are off too.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @Matthew1471,

Thanks for these suggestions, yeah both worth investigating in terms of MTU and IPv4/6. The colleagues I've checked in with advised that if there was a limit similar to the 120 Mbps issue, a VPN wouldn't bypass this.

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @brooksdm2,

Sorry for the delay on getting back to you. @Matthew1471's suggestions may help, please let us know if they do. I've also sent you a PM to get you in touch with another support team. If you get in touch with them, they can help raise this with our service desks.

To view your private messages on the community, click on your avatar image in the top right of any community page, then "Messages".

Thanks,
Jonathan

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

brooksdm2
Regular

Hi @JonathanB 

No luck I'm afraid......

I had already tried changing the APN / IPV4/6 along with setting MTU to optimum value@1332 on the NR5103E, this made no difference to the download speed. Another user posted a similar issue which was resolve with a new router and sim contract. I tried this also but the speeds I'm getting from the NR5103EV2 are very similar to my NR5103EV1. They both behave the same when the VPN is active almost double or treble the download speed.

I'll be in contact with the support team you provided and see where this goes. Thanks for your help so far - I'll let you know how it pans out.     

Matthew1471
Regular

1332 a typo? 1380 was the one I found worked best for IPv4 APN connectivity and 1352 for the IPv6 APN.

Hope you get it sorted with customer service. I suspect they'll ask you to keep the network config incredibly simple (likely factory resetting the hub) with just the hub and a single simple Windows PC (maybe plugged in via cable) / iPhone connected. Good luck!

asranjan
Fledgling

@JonathanB , same issue for me.  I was getting 500mbps since yesterday.  Last evening, it came down to 20mbps and has remained the same since.  Reading all this, I changed the APN to three.co.uk, but still went up slightly to 50mbps, nowhere near the 500mbps I was getting when I started 1 month ago.  It is very crucial for my business and my Teams call keep disconnecting.  
I have a 3 sim phone too, but that gives 500mbps perfectly.

What I noticed is when the speed is good, and I search who is my isp, it gives Hutchison 3G (with IP address starting with 92), but when it went slow to 20mbps, it was showing as IONOS SE (with IP address starting with 77).  That is strange.  But now with three.co.uk APN, it is Hutchison 3G, but only little faster.

Really surprised, as you mentioned, such throttling should not happen for anyone now.  Are you sure?  Perhaps I have to raise a complaint and go through the process?  Or can you check for me?

Matthew1471
Regular

Sounds unrelated to the original issue (50 Mbps is not the 120 Mbps hard limit). Have you rung customer service? Have you rebooted the hub? Is the hub showing 5G and not 4G (50 Mbps would be very typical for 4G). Turn off roaming too - as it sounds like you're roaming onto the IONOS SE network instead of being on Three and you don't want to be charged for that!

"three.co.uk" APN competes with mobile devices and is CGNATed, "3internet" is generally the best APN for mobile broadband users to be on.

Customer service can do all the basic checks, this forum is mostly other users chatting amongst themselves and the odd moderator who can ask the odd question but probably doesn't have access to our accounts or the full troubleshooting steps. Customer service is the right forum for your issue - it's not related to the 120 Mbps issue.

asranjan
Fledgling

Hi @Matthew1471 , thanks for your reply.  After I sent the original message, DL came down to 25mbps and now at 7mbps (link below).  Yes, I have rebooted the hub a number of times.  I also reverted the APN back to 3internet Auto mode (three.co.uk was a test only).  I checked in Connection Mode, Roaming is off (unless there is a setting elsewhere).  The slow speed is similar either with IONOS SE or with Hutchison 3G.  I have the spend cap in my plan settings as zero, so I should not get any charge, even though the isp is shown as IONOS even now.  Anyway, it is three's router doing it automatically.  Both my Three phones connect fine to Hutchison 3G at same location and gives 500mbps.  So, it clearly is something to do with broadband throttling.  I have contacted customer service and raised a complaint.  It will help if I need to reach ofcom in future.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/16194687379