cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Intermittent connection issues loading/changing site- secure connection failed/site can't be reached

EDIflyer
Involved

Is anyone else occasionally getting a 'connection down' error from Chrome (or 'Secure Connection Failed' from Firefox) when changing page - if I hit refresh it works fine. At first I wondered if it was the site I was using but have noticed it on multiple different major websites over the past couple of months and not noticed it from other locations where I don't use Three Broadband so does seem to be related to the router/connection (this is via wired Ethernet too, so not a WiFi problem).  I've tried changing DNS server in case that helps but no difference.

It mainly seems to happen when trying to first load a site or (annoyingly) at checkout when a different site is being loaded as part of the checkout process.  It certainly doesn't happen everytime but does happen with reasonable frequency.  I've also noticed I often get it when trying to pull/push from/to Github too and have to do so a number of times for it to work (browsing the Github website works fine).

I'm using a NR5103E with Firmware Version V1.00(ACBJ.0)b14 - I tried rebooting it but to no effect.

EDIflyer_0-1697984212494.pngEDIflyer_1-1697984219294.png

EDIflyer_4-1697984241361.png

211 REPLIES 211
applepieman
Active

This really is quite disappointing I have to say and generic technical guidance really isn't the answer for customers. 

hughesceri
Active

I don't know if things are getting worse for me or whether I'm relying more on github.com and ghcr.io urls than previously, but my Three home broadband is starting to become unusable for anything related to software development now.

Even the simple act of updating or installing a package using homebrew on the mac is very difficult, as each of the (many) dependencies for a package requires a couple of hits to ghcr.io and when one of those fails I have to rerun and rerun until it works - or like I've had to do today, go to a place with public wifi and run it there.

How long can we expect this to continue? If there's no sign of a workaround, how long until Three starts to really acknowledge the issue and give us something that can help, e.g. some sort of paid VPN service.

Apologies if this is not the relevant forum to start a conversation about compensation etc - I'll happily try something else that doesn't require any form of subscription / payment, but I'm not going to use a limited, free VPN as that's just a short term workaround that will eventually hit a data transfer limit.

tucu
Regular

FWIW I swaped my phone card with the router card and set the APN back to 3internet. Still getting errors when running @EDIflyer's test

for i in {1..100}; do curl -I --no-progress-meter -o /dev/null https://github.com || true; done;
applepieman
Active

Been away for a week and hoped this would be resolved by now but appears not. I am struggling to understand how progress hasn't been made in all this time. Can we have a proper update on this issue and when a fix will be provided as it simply isn't good enough carrying on like this 

Dwcol
Fledgling

I too have been having the same issues as everyone here. It was running pretty much flawlessly until firmware b14 reared its head.

Started noticing it with my ps5 and it was telling me I wasn’t connected to psn even though I was able to connect to everything else and eventually would throw me out of games advising it couldn’t confirm the license.

Then started getting random errors on banking apps stating request hasn’t gone through and to try again. Then the random ssl errors would occur throughout the day. The final straw was the router itself would disconnect for hours on end until I had to reset back to factory settings and this happened 3 days in a row which is unacceptable anyway but more so as my wife relies on the connection for work so I have had to switch over to my old huawei b525 4g router which is more stable but not what I paid for.

Are you any further forward to what a fix may look like? Or can you give the option to rollback firmwares to see if that resolves our issues? I am on a rolling 30 day contract and will be leaving for ee which we’ve had before (slower speed) but rock solid connection wise if the issues are not resolved quickly. It’s not enough to say we’re looking in to it for weeks on end I’m afraid. 

kris
Regular

I have this error dozens of times a day on all different devices. I removed adult lock as found it as possible solution online somewhere. I also tried to change default DNS - still nothing. Drops the connection anyway.

I spoke at work with one of my colleagues (he's software dev.) and said that's the reason he does not use 5G three (when working from home) as that was exactly the reason he left this network - constant problems with GitHub. And he live in completely different location to me.

I think also for me it's time to leave and go to fibre even when more expensive - at least it's stable!

kris_0-1702200110647.png

hughesceri
Active

There have been no updates from anyone on the service side since I last posted 10 days ago so I'm afraid I feel the need to escalate this now. I'm on a fixed term 18-month contract which still has many months to go before I can leave so I need to see this issue resolved asap. I'm currently locked into a broadband service that's not fit for purpose in my opinion.

With that in mind, is there an "official" place for logging technical issues or is this all we have? Are there Three employees / contractors still monitoring this service?

It would also be useful to know whether you think this is an issue with the router - some posts suggest they've paid for a "better" router and the issue has gone away, so are Three able to send us alternative routers to see if this fixes it for us all?

It's been around 6 weeks since the OP reported this issue and we've seen no progress. What options do we have other than following the complaints procedure? Will this give us a better outcome?

EDIflyer
Involved

You can call 3 customer service to log a case, although my previous experience with them isn't great. If you haven't done so already I'd open a case with the social media team (link by @JonathanB up thread) to link them into your post so they can get account details. 

robjames_1
Regular

You don’t happen to have that link to hand? I’ve looked through the thread (I’m on mobile) but haven’t been able to find a link from him. 

hughesceri
Active

I already opened a case with the social media team (or at least added my details to the existing case) but other than a follow up "has it gone away yet" message from the social team, nothing has happened there. I initially got this message from @JonathanB explaining how to sign up / add my details, but he may have to prep the team 1st? Not sure. May be worth a shot anyway:

Please contact the Social Media Team by webchat. I've made them aware of the issue, and they'll help get this escalated with our Technical and IT service desks.

link removed