cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sky glass and Sky Q issues - three 5g home broadband

p1d9m73
Active

Hi, I was just wondering if anyone else was running a sky glass tv off their three 5g home broadband? I'm having a lot of problems viewing on demand programs but it's very random. I can stream something on more 4 but not on my5 and certain movies on the sky cinema channel won't load either. I've been told by sky that it's a security thing, I didn't quite understand it but basically when I try watch something on demand the glass tv sends a request to the ip provider and sky are saying the tv must be getting the wrong answer so the program won't load🤷‍♂️ just wondered if anyone else is experiencing the same? It's only the last 2 months it's started happening, the 1st time it happened it lasted about a week and it's been about a week this time too. All live programs work fine.

146 REPLIES 146
p1d9m73
Active

Hi Peteg

My router has 2 APN settings to choose from,  3internet and three.co.uk,  neither of them solve the issue.

I'm not aware of glass tv having a VPN option but I'll check, I have read on the sky forum that someone tried a vpn on their phone,  hotspotted their phone to the tv while on three broadband and it did solve the problem but problem with that is going through a vpn the speed was massively slower, you have to keep the phone near the tv and the vpn software costs extra money so its not really an answer.

I will try changing the DNS to 8.8.8.8 like you suggest and let you know the results.

The issue must be able to be fixed because like I said at the start it 1st happened about 2 month ago but then went away and only came back about 2-3weeks ago.

p1d9m73
Active

There is no option the change the DNS on the sky glass tv, ip settings are set to automatic and can't be changed.

I have just tried watching something on 5 (on demand) that wasn't working and now it's working. But sonic the hedgehog 2 on sky cinema still doesn't work. 🤷‍♂️

Dazzar
Established

I have also tried different APN and disabled 5g , no difference and DNS cannot change, like I said the only way I can get it to run is start the program through Vodafone and then reconnect three, then it runs 

Dazzar
Established

Pete also I have the ZTE801a and the huawei 5g pro2 and neither would work, I cannot see if there is a way that the routers can go through a 8888 dns 

p1d9m73
Active

I have the ZTE801a router too. I've also found a different APN threembb.co.uk but still have the same issue.

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Thanks for that.

Just so you know, the APN you should be on is 3internet as this is the APN that features the full set of normal home broadband features. It's best to avoid the other two when on home broadband.

A VPN is one of the things that would be good to have tested, however using hotspot through phones usually results in the VPN being bypassed as far as I know, since the phone usually tunnels the connection through separately from the main data connection, so I'm not sure why that worked. Maybe it was the VPN, but it could have also been something else in the configuration that we can't repeat in our own testing.

It's disappointing to hear that the Glass settings can't be changed.

Thanks for checking this out, we're continuing to investigate, please bear with us.

Pete.

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

p1d9m73
Active

Thanks for getting back to us, I've changed the APN back to 3internet.

Hopefully it isn't too long before you guys find an answer as it's getting very frustrating. A few days can be bearable but it's now going on for 3 weeks🙁

Dazzar
Established

Pete in October 3 rolled out an adult content filter for phones , there is a lot of chat about this I was wondering if this affects routers I have no clue if mine is on or off, also on the sky forum I asked about VPN and people that were having the problem have signed up for one and now the problem has gone away the others like me whom fail to see why I should pay £10 per month for one on top of my contract are still having the problem, so it does look like it’s a filter 

p1d9m73
Active

@Dazzar I'm with you,  why should we have to pay extra for a VPN plus have reduced speeds when it's not our fault. Maybe three could supply us with a free VPN to use until the issue is sorted? 

I don't think the adult filter is the problem as mine was turned off long before this problem started although when I rang three about this I was told the adult filter had been turned back on so they would turn it off again 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️ 

PeteG
Community Support Team
Community Support Team

Thanks, Dazzar. 

Due to the limitations on the Glass TV's settings, it's limiting some of the tests that you can perform. 

But we'll continue to look into it and hopefully figure it out soon! 

Pete. 

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.