cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Still no 5G with NR5103

MJW-GTR
Active

My router has updated to the .12 firmware but still not getting 5G, only 4G

This both the same at my house and my dad's except he gets 4G+.

Any suggestions?

33 REPLIES 33
crypt0ninja
Established

Sounds similar to my first NR5103E which wouldn't pick up 5G despite being on the latest b12 firmware.

Replaced with another NR5103E which arrived on b10 and picked up 5G just fine, its on b12 now and still doing fine.

I say fine but I'm still seeing some odd issues going on with the NR5103E and its decision making when it comes to the cells/bands to connect to.

lovell100
Active

Same, mine refuses ro connect to 5G.  Spoke to Three and they tole me there was a firmware update beyond B12 coming which would fix the issue.  The guy didn't seem to have a clue what he was talking about tbh and I think just made that up get get me off the phone.

Think I'm going to cancel and return mine as Three just seem happy to fob us off and not actually either fix the problem or issue a replacement router that does actually work.

MJW-GTR
Active

So is it best to get onto Three and try and get new routers?

crypt0ninja
Established

If you have never been able to get 5G on the NR5103E and are in a 5G area with no known issues, then I would try to push for a replacement.

If you were previously able to get 5G on the NR5103E but its stopped working and now only getting 4G+ or 4G then there could be another fault at play rather than an issue with the NR5103E.

I do suspect some hardware faults with some NR5103E's as I had a faulty one previously and I know of a good few others who have/had the same problem as I did.

Hopefully the team respond when they are back online tomorrow to advise of next steps for you.

lovell100
Active

Give it a try - they just fobbed me off with wiat for the imaginary update.  As I said luckily I'm on the monthly deal so will be cancelling if not resolved quite soon.

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @MJW-GTR,

In the majority of cases the B12 firmware has been addressing this issue with connecting to 5G. It's also worth checking the "Band Management" and trying this on manual instead of auto. The N78 band is the one to select for 5G.

Have you been able to test your Three SIM with other devices in the same locations to confirm it does seem to be the router at fault?

If it seems to be an issue specific to the router, even after the firmware update, I'd be inclined to agree that it could be faulty hardware, have you already spoken to the Tech team about this?

JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

crypt0ninja
Established

Just to add to what @JonathanB said, if using manual band selection you must select a 4G band(s) along with the 5G (N78) band as 5G is non-standalone at this time. Selecting N78 on its own will not give you any connection right now.

You will usually want to pair N78 with B1 or B3 if setting manually to test, if all is well you could try add further bands into the mix.

Three seems to use these bands via multiple cells in my area from what I can tell (available bands may differ at your local area though):

B1 (signal not great for me)
B3 (better than B1 for me)
B20 (good signal, decent upload for me)
B28 (excellent signal and best upload speeds for me from my testing)
B32 (This is a DOWNLOAD ONLY band and does not assist with upload, it doesn't seem to aggregate with my locked band selection so I left this one unchecked)
N78 (This is the 5G band, but as 5G is non-standalone NR5G-NSA atm it has to be paired with 4G bands, this will change when 5G is eventually standalone NR5G-SA)

lovell100
Active

Thanks for your reply.  

Selcting bands manually makes no difference to this very odd behaviour.  It still flicks endlessly between 5G and LTE.  As the person below you did you can't simply select N78 alone as the 5G is NSA not SA.

Even with N78 manually selected along with the Three LTE bands (1, 3, 20, 28,32), it flicks endlessly, every 5 seconds or so.  

As I said in another thread my neighbour has the same setup, same router and is 100m further frow the tower with no issues at all. Mine and my wife's S22s both showing solid 5G signal and 1000mbps down stable. Id be amazed if this isn't a hardware issue with my router.

Issue is phone support keep fobbing me off and telling me to wait for some future update that will resolve this.  I'm not happy with that as a solution. I assumed if there was a hardware fault in this deal I could simply return this router for one that works is that not the case?

Thanks for your help.

crypt0ninja
Established

Yeah your issue really does sound exactly like the issue I had with my previous faulty NR5103E tbh, I could receive 5G on any other device just not that NR5103E, and the replacement works fine and picks up 5G no problemo.