cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5G Home Broadband - Worse than using hotspot

H4MZ4
Regular

I’m making this thread as a call for support and a review on my experience on using the 5G Home Broadband setup for gaming.

Absolutely terrible! I can’t complain about the download speeds, but my main issue is the ping is so inconsistent and is worse on the 5G Hub than it is if I was using my own 4G iPhone as a hotspot.

When using the 5G Hub (either wireless or wired) with my PS5 (using COD as an example), I get horrible latency issues, the ping varies from 120ms to 200ms, with occasional spikes up to 500ms that make it literally unplayable as you notice the lag spike every 45 seconds. 

Whereas if if I am using my iPhone as a hotspot (which is using 4G), the ping massive improves to 80ms without much variation, say 80-90ms and is much more stable. 

The same issues are evident when running a ping test on both 5G Hub, and my phone’s 4G network.

5G Hub ping test: https://i.ibb.co/d2nyymB/0911-B0-A5-E4-F7-4277-88-BF-00-F78601-BEF1.png 

4G Mobile Network ping test:

https://i.ibb.co/nMwHDdW/C02-D2922-C2-A1-4-CA5-9-FC9-2282649-C3-AD1.png 

as shown in the ping tests above, the 5G hub jitters from 100ms to 200ms, and the occasional 300ms+ spike that I feel in game.

if anyone has any way for me to fix this, it’d be appreciated, because right now I’m thinking why am I wasting money on the 5G hub if it performs worse than my iPhone on the same network!

10 REPLIES 10
H4MZ4
Regular

Another update.

I took it up with customer service, had a very hard time trying to explain the difference between internet speeds and latency speeds. They opened an investigation, couple weeks later turned around and told me it’s a poor 5G signal issue despite showing full bars. 

Their resolution was either to cancel the contract without charge, or offer me 7 days airtime credit if I chose to stay with Three and pay for a 5G Service that I can’t even use for the rest of the 18 months 🤣