cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Three Home Broadband: Zyxel NR5103E drops connection and WILL NOT RECONNECT AUTOMATICALLY

Involved

Extremely frustrating - every time it rains, the router drops connection and DOES NOT RECONNECT automatically. It has to be rebooted manually, which you can only do from home.

If you're away from home and rely on your home broadband to monitor your home and your pets, you're screwed. This needs to be fixed ASAP.

Best solution
Best solution
devaraja
Active

hi @JonathanB , i dont thing the change was done on the router, because:

1. i check the APN and the wan setting before and after the talk with the support team and there was no change.
  2. i did manually change it to ipv4 explusively, then to ipv4+ipv6 and the speed was the same
  3. i did a factory reset on the modem just in case, and did all the manual change below including the apn address and ap IP version and still the speed was the same.

Only afthe the second chat with the level 2 support. i managed to regain the speed.

View solution in conversation

92 REPLIES 92
NT306
Regular

Just a little update.

I've now been connected for 24 hours continually after 5 disconnections alone before lunchtime yesterday.

I followed a suggestion to lock bands B1 B3 and n78 and that seems to have done the trick.... So far

It doesnt help that It won't connect to 5g, only 4g+ and poor speeds at that, 12 up 18 down.

bulldog555
Involved

I selected lock bands B1, B3 and N78 but sadly it went from 5G convert back to 4G with B3 because the mast was closer to mine is boring slow 4G B3 at all times with download speed of below 20 and upload speed of below 25. Three need to upgrade nearby my mast 4G with B3 to add B1 and 5G on it. But, they won't bothered. This is 4G mast below approx 350m away from my house. 4G strongest signal -70 can ruined my 3km away (5G mast) refused to connect it because of B3 nearer my 4G mast only to pick up 4G all the times. I have to use locked B20, N78 but download speed of 350 and upload speed of 5. Locked B1, N78 get download speed of 450 to 550 but upload 7 to 17. I have to leave B3 unselected. 

00.jpg

JonathanB
Community Moderator
Community Moderator

Hi @456,

I appreciate this is a really frustrating issue, and I'm sorry that there's not been more information or advice I can give. If there's an update sent to me I will share this, and I have passed on feedback about this thread.

The main advice I've been given in regards to the connection drops is this is caused by signal. Whenever this is happening there's likely some fluctuations happening with signal strength, rain is one factor that can cause this, but this could also happen with a number of other factors like power supply to the masts, and interference from other signals, to name a couple of examples.

There's some great suggestions on here, thanks for everyone's input that's trying to help.

I'd also recommend experimenting more with where the router is positioned. In general, higher locations, near a window, and also avoiding placing the router too close to other electronic devices and appliances can help get better reception, and cur down on interference. The Three Broadband App can help with testing viable locations. Even if you've already done this when initially setting up, I'd recommend trying out alternative locations, and over longer periods of time to see if you can find a spot where you don't get the drop outs, as signal strength is not going to be a constant and can vary. 

In terms of the comments that the 2nd line team have done something to hamper your speeds, I have mentioned before that we can't disclose account specific information over the community, however I do appreciate your concern that the speeds have dropped since speaking to them. I've asked for some more info on a PM I sent earlier today that may help get that part looked into further.

Thanks,
JonathanB

Mod tip! The author of a post can hit 'Accept as Solution', to highlight a reply that helped solved their query.

Involved

Hi,

Thanks for your message. While I understand there are disconnections every now and then, there's no reason that the router should not be reconnecting automatically to the internet. The old one did. 

The current router is in the same position as the old one, and the signal strength is excellent.

I will be in touch via PM as requested. 😄

shadwuk
Regular

Mine disconnected again this morning.  Its at least once a week.  Weather is great.  Mast is about 160 metres away.  It just stopped working dead.  Signal on router showed full even while not working.  Rebooted and working again.

Involved

And Three keep telling me it's only happening to me...

NT306
Regular

Finally got rid of the Zyxel and replaced it with a ZTE MC801a.

Immediate connection to 5g with ZTE (Zytel kept trying to lock on to 5g but couldn't so back to 4g+ then tried 5g again, and I assume that the constant switching between them caused the frequent disconnections.

1 week with ZTE so far excellent 

Involved

Hi! How did you manage to get a ZTE? Did Three provide it?

Good to hear it's working better for you!

bulldog555
Involved

@NT306What firmware is it for ZTE MC801a? Is that right model number are:

ZTE 5G CPE MC801A?

Also do this router have band locking?

bulldog555
Involved

@NT306@JonathanB 

Sound like NR5103E are hardware issues then? Three should suspended NR5103E and revert everyone to have ZTE MC801a 5G router instead.